LYOHS service projects
Winter Food Drive for Northern New Jersey
Throughout January and February in 2021, the LYOHS and its Community Ambassador Team conducted a food drive for the Interfaith Food Pantry of the Oranges. Over 850 items (cans, boxes, bags, etc.) of non-perishable foods were raised, making this drive one of the most successful in the history of Livingston Township! The food was delivered to feed countless families throughout Northern New Jersey!
On Saturday, December 19th, 2020, the LYOHS held an online general trivia tournament via Kahoot where participants competed for a cash prize of 20% of entrance free proceeds. The remaining 80% of proceeds was donated to the Make-A-Wish foundation of New Jersey to support children with critical illnesses. We were glad to make a difference during the holiday season!
On Sunday, November 15th, 2020 the LYOHS held a community cleanup at the Memorial Oval and Park following all COVID-19 protocols. Over 50 participants attended the event to help keep our town clean. Many pounds of trash were collected and disposed!
In September and October of 2020, the LYOHS held a raffle fundraiser in support of the Trial Blazers for Kids Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to funding innovative clinical trials that create cures for pediatric cancers. The winner was announced over livestream and ultimately, we raised $700 for the fundraiser in contribution to pediatric cancer research.
Summer Food Drive for Unemployed Citizens
n August of 2020, the LYOHS partnered with Blissful Us to conduct a food drive for those in need. The COVID-19 pandemic left many members of our community unemployed and without basic necessities. In an effort to assist these citizens, we donated non-perishable and canned food items, as well as toiletries. Over 20 shopping bags of food and resources were raised!
Learning Resources Drive
From June 29th to August 3rd in 2020, the LYOHS ran a learning resources drive to assist students from the Newark School District in need of educational resources. People from all across Livingston and neighboring towns donated gently used/new school supplies and books to the various drop-off locations hosted by LYOHS board members. In total, about 50 boxes and bags of learning resources were collected for 4 different Newark schools. The LYOHS ultimately helped Newark take a big step towards removing the financial barriers preventing their students from receiving a quality education!
Saint Barnabus Food Delivery
On Thursday, July 9th, 2020, four our of our LYOHS board members – Matthew Zhang, Jake Fersko, Harris Rosenthal, and Zach Feldman – purchased and delivered $260 worth of hot food trays to the COVID-19 pandemic treatment unit at Saint Barnabas Hospital!
Fortnite Battle Royale Tournament Fundraiser
On Saturday, May 30th, 2020, 40 different people (20 partnerships) competed in the very first LYOHS Fortnite video game tournament! The entry fees they paid to register and compete allowed us to raise over $260 for COVID-19 frontline workers at hospitals in Essex County, New Jersey!
SAGE Eldercare Fundraising Campaign
During the height of the Coronavirus pandemic in the United States, from March 20th to May 1st in 2020, the LYOHS decided to act. Our organization created a GoFundMe campaign that raised nearly $900 for SAGE Eldercare, a non-profit organization that provides crucial home care services and delivers meals to older adults in New Jersey affected by the Coronavirus. Our fundraiser played an extremely key role in ensuring that SAGE Eldercare’s operations continued during the pandemic, since prior to our support, the non-profit was in a critical need of funds and the execution of their services was in jeopardy as a result.
Breakfast Bonanza Food Drive
From Monday, March 9th, 2020 to Saturday, March 14th, 2020, the LYOHS conducted a breakfast food drive in Livingston, New Jersey. Our organization collected numerous breakfast bags from donors in the community who put them together, which we all delivered to NourishNJ – a non-profit community soup kitchen and food bank which is located in Morristown, New Jersey. This organization used the breakfast bags to help feed malnourished people within the state.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Community Service Event
On Monday, January 20th, 2020, five of our LYOHS board members – Matthew Zhang, Anuvik Das, Rishab Bamzai, Kishan Bava, and Elias Porter – attended the annual Livingston MLK Day volunteer service event. There, those board members helped set up the event, make lunch bags and sandwiches for non-profit organizations supporting hungry citizens, organize a community food drive, and clean-up after the event ended.